If you have Lymphedema, or an accumulation of lymphatic fluid that causes swelling in the arms and legs, Good Shepherd can help.
Designed to help treat and relieve lymphedema symptoms, Good Shepherd's Lymphedema Management Program focuses on Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD), a gentle yet precise massage technique that mobilizes excess tissue fluid and promotes normal functioning of the lymphatic system.
MLD is combined with a program of compression bandaging, remedial exercise and patient education for self-care after discharge. Early detection and treatment are crucial to a more favorable outcome. Early treatment can also prevent life-threatening infections associated with lymphedema.
Manual Lymph Drainage can be used to treat the following:
- Arthritis and other inflammatory conditions
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Edema of traumatic origin (hematoma, sprains, joint dislocations, ligament lesions, torn muscles, treatment of fractures, etc.)
- Lymphedema after mastectomy
- Lymphostatic edema of the extremities
- Primary lymphedema
- Rheumatic illnesses (i.e., lupus erythematosus)
- Scar treatment including post-cosmetic surgery and oral surgery