Rehabilitation Hospital Allentown | Lehigh Valley Physical Therapy
The hospital that you choose for your rehabilitation can impact the rest of your life. That is why patients travel from throughout the east coast and even farther for the individualized care, outstanding patient outcomes and rehabilitation innovation offered at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital (GSRH).
Providing compassionate, patient-centered care since 1967, GSRH offers highly skilled staff, specialized programs and services, patient and family education and lifetime follow-up care. The focus is on the whole person – not just the injury or illness.
GSRH is part of the not-for-profit Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network (GSRN), which was founded in 1908 and offers — in addition to adult and pediatric inpatient rehabilitation — outpatient rehabilitation, long-term acute care and long-term care. GSRN has 57 locations in eastern Pennsylvania, including the Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia regions.
Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs:
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program
- Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Major Multiple Trauma
- Amputee Rehabilitation
- Neurological Condition Rehabilitation (multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, etc.)
GSRH’s specialized team of physicians, nurses, therapists and neuropsychologists work to return patients to their highest possible level of functional independence.
- Physicians: Inpatient care is overseen by physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians with specialized training and certification in spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, amputation and other neurologic and orthopedic conditions. Internal medicine physicians oversee the medical care of our patients and are in the hospital every day.
- Nurses: Good Shepherd has the most certified rehabilitation nurses (CRRNs) in the region. This special certification makes GSRH’s nurses better equipped to provide outstanding care to patients with catastrophic injuries or illnesses.
- Therapists: Good Shepherd has the most therapists in the region who are doctoral trained and have specialty certifications, meaning they are better educated and experienced in specific therapies for catastrophic care.
- Neuropsychologists: As part of the care team, neuropsychologists provide evaluations and treatment in both the inpatient and outpatient settings for persons with a wide range of diagnoses. They use clinical evaluations and formalized testing to assess brain function in the areas of cognitive abilities, behavior and emotional status.
Specialized Programs and Services
GSRH specializes in meeting the complex needs of patients who have had a catastrophic accident, injury or illness. Individualized, goal-oriented treatment plans address physical impairments, cognitive and behavioral difficulties and the emotional aspects of the rehabilitation and recovery process.
In addition to physical, occupational, speech and recreational therapy, patients may take part in specialized programs that include:
- Amputation rehabilitation
- Assistive technology program
- Bowel and bladder program
- Brain injury rehabilitation
- Burn care
- Locomotor training program
- Hip and knee rehabilitation
- Multi-Trauma rehabilitation
- Nutrition counseling
- Oncology rehabilitation
- Psychology services
- Sexuality counseling
- Skin care management
- Spinal cord injury rehabilitation
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Support groups
- Women's health program
Education and Follow-Up Care
GSRH’s physicians and staff follow patients through inpatient and outpatient care and through a lifetime of follow up.
- GSRH’s staff provides patients and families with appropriate education so that patients are prepared for discharge.
- Case managers work closely with patients and family members to ensure patients have theservices and equipment they need to continue their recovery upon discharge.
- Good Shepherd offers outpatient therapy at more than 35 locations in the greater Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia regions. If you return to home outside these areas, our staff will work with your outpatient therapy team to ensure a smooth transition.
Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital—Allentown
Good Shepherd Plaza
850 South Fifth Street
Allentown, PA 18103
For patient information: 610-776-3100
For information on programs and services: 1-888-44-REHAB (73422)