If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig ’s disease), Good Shepherd can help you cope with the physical and psychological aspects of the disease.
There are devices and therapies that can manage the symptoms of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and help you maintain as much independence as possible. At Good Shepherd, we know that each individual with ALS has unique abilities and medical needs. Here, we work with you to develop goals and the appropriate treatment plan to help you reach them.
Good Shepherd’s ALS Program specializes in evaluating and treating:
- Cognitive or linguistic impairments
- Continence issues
- Disturbance in gait or mobility
- Involuntary movement
- Muscle weakness and difficulty walking, working or performing tasks of daily living
- Muscle tightness or spasticity
- Speech and language impairments or swallowing disorders
Levels of care:
- Clinic - Good Shepherd’s outpatient ALS Clinic is available the first Monday of each month at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital – Allentown.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation - Good Shepherd offers numerous outpatient rehabilitation facilities to help you with activities of daily living and more.
- Wellness Program - Many of Good Shepherd’s wellness programs, including fitness opportunities, home modification and more, are appropriate for individuals with ALS and their families.
Assistive and rehabilitation technology for ALS patients:
Good Shepherd is a Center of Excellence in the use of technology to enhance lives and augment rehabilitation for children and adults. At Good Shepherd, our team uses leading-edge rehabilitation and assistive technology, coupled with expert hands-on therapy, to help maximize function and increase independence in our patients. Learn more about the technologies available at Good Shepherd.
Medical Cannabis for ALS:
Numerous research studies have demonstrated the proper use medical cannabis as an effective agent to relieve pain and reduce spasticity associated with certain diseases and conditions. Following a thorough evaluation, Good Shepherd physiatrists will certify appropriate patients for medical cannabis use as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that requires follow up care. For additional information, please click here.
For more information on Good Shepherd’s services for individuals with ALS, contact us or call 1-888-44-REHAB (73422).