Technology at Good Shepherd
“For people without disabilities, technology makes things easier.
For people with disabilities, technology makes things possible.”
- IBM 1991 training manual
Good Shepherd’s Harry C. Trexler Center for Assistive Technology is a Center of Excellence in the early adoption and use of life-changing assistive and rehabilitation technologies.
We use assistive technology and rehabilitation technology, along with expert hands-on care, throughout our network.
What's the difference between assistive technology and rehabilitation technology?
Assistive technologies help people with disabilities live more independent and productive lives.
Rehabilitation technologies help people who have suffered an injury or illness regain function.
Highlights of Good Shepherd’s Technology Center of Excellence:
- Good Shepherd offers an impressive inventory of life-changing assistive and rehabilitation technologies. These devices, combined with hands-on therapy, help you achieve independence and functional improvement.
- Good Shepherd employs a large number of PT, OT and SLP licensed certified assistive technology professionals.
- Good Shepherd is a beta test site for many technologies, such as the Bioness H200 and L300 electrical stimulation devices.
- Good Shepherd is an official Assistive Technology Resource Center for PIAT (Pennsylvania Initiative on Assistive Technology).
- Good Shepherd is represented on the Professional Standards Board of the Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA)
- Good Shepherd’s therapists have been published in national trade publications and journals, and have presented at local, regional and national conferences.
- Some of the world’s foremost innovators and thinkers have visited and lectured at Good Shepherd. These individuals, including Dean Kamen, inventor of the Segway iBOT® Mobility System, Ray Kurzweil, futurist and author, and John Abele, founding chairman of Boston Scientific, were impressed by our breadth of expertise regarding assistive technology.
Harry C. Trexler Center for Assistive Technology
Good Shepherd Health & Technology Center
Good Shepherd Plaza
850 South 5th St.
Allentown, PA 18103