Aquatic therapy in a heated therapeutic pool can help you meet a variety of goals. The warm water helps to increase circulation, respiratory rate, muscle metabolism, strength, flexibility and ease of movement while reducing pain through decreased weight-bearing and reduced joint stress.
Good Shepherd’s team of licensed physical therapists and certified recreational therapists provide instruction and lead exercises using a variety of specialized pool equipment. Individual therapy, as well as group aquatic therapy programs, are available.
Levels of care:
- Inpatient rehabilitation at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital-Allentown.
- Outpatient rehabilitation
In addition, Good Shepherd Health & Technology Center offers a full spectrum of individual and group aquatic wellness programs to maintain and improve your fitness level after you have completed aquatic therapy.
Benefits of aquatic therapy at Good Shepherd:
- Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints and the spine
- Allows you to exercise without harming already affected joints and muscles
- Increases circulation
- Offers resistance to strengthen muscles differently than land exercise
- Promotes relaxation and pain relief
Aquatic therapy services are provided for:
- Bariatric weight-loss
- Certain balance disorders
- Multi-trauma injuries
- Myofascial pain and fibromyalgia
- Neck and back pain
- Orthopedic problems including sprains, strains and post-operative rehabilitation
- Injuries resulting in weight-bearing limitations
- Sports injuries
- Pain management
- Difficulty with walking or mobility
- Some neurological diagnoses including stroke, brain injury and spinal cord injury
Learn more about how aquatic therapy can help bariatric patients meet their weight loss goals.
For more information about aquatic therapy services at Good Shepherd, call 1-888-44-REHAB (73422) or contact us.