Aquatic therapy in a heated therapeutic pool can help you meet a variety of goals. The warm water helps to increase circulation, respiratory rate, muscle metabolism, strength, flexibility and ease of movement while reducing pain through decreased weight-bearing and reduced joint stress.
Good Shepherd’s team of licensed physical therapists and certified recreational therapists provide instruction and lead exercises using a variety of specialized pool equipment. Individual therapy, as well as group aquatic therapy programs, are available.
Levels of care:
- Inpatient rehabilitation at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital-Allentown.
- Outpatient rehabilitation
In addition, Good Shepherd Health & Technology Center offers a full spectrum of individual and group aquatic wellness programs to maintain and improve your fitness level after you have completed aquatic therapy.
Benefits of aquatic therapy at Good Shepherd:
- Reduces stress on weight-bearing joints and the spine
- Allows you to exercise without harming already affected joints and muscles
- Increases circulation
- Offers resistance to strengthen muscles differently than land exercise
- Promotes relaxation and pain relief
Aquatic therapy services are provided for:
- Certain balance disorders
- Multi-trauma injuries
- Myofascial pain and fibromyalgia
- Neck and back pain
- Orthopedic problems including sprains, strains and post-operative rehabilitation
- Injuries resulting in weight-bearing limitations
- Sports injuries
- Pain management
- Difficulty with walking or mobility
- Some neurological diagnoses including stroke, brain injury and spinal cord injury
For more information about aquatic therapy services at Good Shepherd, call 1-888-44-REHAB (73422) or contact us.