Assistive Devices | Assistive Technology Program | PIAT
Good Shepherd is the official Assistive Technology Resource Center for the region that includes Lehigh, Northampton, Monroe, Berks, Schuylkill, Carbon and Luzerne counties. The designation comes from the Pennsylvania Initiative on Assistive Technology (PIAT).
As one of only eight AT Resource Centers in the commonwealth, Good Shepherd oversees the outreach, education, evaluation and training efforts of PIAT for the region.
As an AT Resource Center, Good Shepherd oversees multiple PIAT initiatives, including:
- PIAT lending library: Through PIAT, individuals with disabilities can borrow assistive technologies, such as communication devices, environmental aides and hearing products, for up to eight weeks at no cost.
- Demonstrating devices for individuals with disabilities: This allows you to make an informed choice about which devices will work best for you.
- Reaching out: Good Shepherd provides education to consumers, service providers and public and private agencies regarding assistive technology.
- Assistive technology recycling program: Through the program, Good Shepherd therapists refurbish devices that are no longer being used and get them in the hands of those who need them. Good Shepherd accepts gently used assistive communication devices including computer hardware and software and vision aids. For more information or to donate an item please call 610-776-3238.
- Students with disabilities: Good Shepherd administers a program that helps college students with disabilities access devices for an entire semester, rather than the typical eight-week time-frame.
- Telecommunications Device Distribution Program: This program allows individuals with disabilities and low incomes to gain free access to specialized phones. Learn more.
For more information on Good Shepherd’s Assistive Technology Resource Center, contact us, or call 877-629-1717 or 610-778-1015.