Optimal Fitness: Fitness Programs and Classes
Optimal Fitness at Good Shepherd offers an array of fitness and aquatics classes for people with or without disabilities.
Fitness and wellness programs:
- Pilates Plus (Mondays, 5 - 6 p.m.): Learn and practice Pilates movements and stretching movements in this 8 week beginner-intermediate mat class designed to lengthen and strengthen your body.
- Bodyweight Circuit Class (Wednesdays 7:30 - 8 a.m.) : This dynamite class is a quick 30 minutes of circuit training designed to help you burn fat! All exercises use your body weight as you rotate to different stations. Class is held in the main level conference room of the Health and Technology Center.
- Ai Chi (Wednesdays, 5 - 5:45 p.m.): This 8-week program is conducted in a warm-water pool with soft-lights, soothing music and a relaxed atmosphere. Learn deep breathing techniques and flowing, coordinated movements to increase relaxation, range of motion and mobility.
- Arthritis Pool Program (Thursdays, 5 - 5:45 p.m.): This is a warm water group exercise program for people with arthritis designed to ease joint pain and increase mobility.
- Aqua YogaPilates (Tuesdays, 5 - 5:45 p.m.): This 8-week aquatic therapy program integrates Yoga poses and Pilates exercises in a warm-water environment to increase relaxation, release stress, tone muscles and strengthen the body core.
- Independent Aquatic Exercise (Mondays, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.): This is an independent aquatic exercise program for individuals who want to use a warm-water pool to maintain and improve fitness and wellness.
- Pediatric Pool Program (Wednesdays, 3:45- 4:45 p.m.): A unique 8-week program that teaches children with disabilities water adjustment and learn-to-swim skills through the use of adaptive techniques and equipment to maximize their independence in the water. Note: This program requires an adult to accompany the child in the water throughout the session.
- Water Walking Program (Monday-Friday, 8 - 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., 2 - 3:30 p.m.): An independent walking/exercise program designed to maintain fitness and wellness in a warm-water environment. Can be combined with a standard gym membership for discounted rates.
- AquaStretch (Scheduled individually): An individualized program guided by a therapist to work on stretching and movement techniques to reduce tightness and pain while improving flexibility, relaxation and overall function.
- Learn to Exercise (Scheduled individually): This is an individualized session with a therapist in the warm water to teach exercise techniques for increasing strength, endurance, range of motion and balance.
- Learn to Swim (Scheduled individually): Under the guidance of a therapist, the client will develop or improve swimming skills, techniques and safety in the water.
Class sizes are limited, doctor's written permission required for participation, registration also required. Call for prices or to register, 610-776-3167 or 610-778-1006.
Good Shepherd Health & Technology Center
850 S. 5th Street
Allentown, PA 18103