Pulmonary Care / Ventilator Weaning
The Good Shepherd Specialty Hospital Ventilator Weaning Program is the premier program of its kind in the region. The program offers comprehensive services designed to liberate you from mechanical ventilation and help you achieve your highest possible level of functional independence.
Historically, more than 80 percent of patients, on average, have been liberated from mechanical ventilation by the team at Good Shepherd Specialty Hospital. Our rates are consistently better than those at similar facilities nationwide.
What makes Good Shepherd Specialty Hospital's Ventilator Weaning Program so successful?
- Our interdisciplinary approach is led by a pulmonologist and includes physicians, nurses, case managers, physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapists, psychologists, pastoral care staff and registered dietitians.
- We customize an individualized care plan for each patient. We work with the referring hospital to identify obstacles to vent weaning prior to admission. Our proactive approach to vent weaning includes therapeutic activity and early ambulation during the weaning process.
- Family is an integral part of our rehabilitation team. From an initial tour of the facility to daily care, family members offer insight into patient care and provide valuable medical history. Be assured, family input is welcome.
- Our modern, technologically advanced facility includes 24-hour medical monitoring by specially trained critical care intensivists, who use sophisticated full-duplex, two-way audio/visual technology to monitor patient care from an off-site location.
- Coordination with a continuum of care allows many ventilator patients to move from the acute-care setting to long-term acute care (Specialty Hospital) and then to an inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation facility within Good Shepherd Rehabilitaton Network.
- Though discharge planning to ensure a successful transition to your next level of care.
Conditions appropriate for admission:
- Severe pulmonary disease or complications
- Multi-trauma or spinal cord injuries (C4 injury level and below)
- Brain injuries (Rancho III and higher)
- Other medical or pulmonary trauma
- Any medical condition resulting in an acute need for mechanical ventilation.
Good Shepherd Specialty Hospital
at Lehigh Valley Hospital - Muhlenberg
South Entrance, 3rd and 4th Floors
2545 Schoenersville Road
Bethlehem, PA 18017
For more information on the Good Shepherd Specialty Hospital Ventilator Weaning Program contact us today. Call 484-884-5000 (option 2).