Spinal Cord Injury
If you or a loved one is dealing with the effects of a spinal cord injury, Good Shepherd’s expert staff can help with rehabilitation services for your lifespan.
Good Shepherd offers an aggressive, integrated approach to rehabilitation, which is designed to restore you to your highest potential physically, socially and emotionally.
At Good Shepherd, our team will work with you and your family to develop a treatment plan focused on meeting your goals.
Levels of care:
- If you are stable and ready to leave an acute-care hospital, but are not well enough to go home or to a rehabilitation hospital, our long-term acute care hospital may be appropriate for you.
- Inpatient spinal cord injury rehabilitation for adults is available at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital-Allentown. Here, you will receive three hours of physical, speech or occupational therapy each day.
- Inpatient spinal cord injury rehabilitation for children is available at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital Pediatric Unit.
- If you are more advanced in your spinal cord injury rehabilitation program, Good Shepherd offers numerous outpatient rehabilitation facilities to continue your progress.
- If you can't make it to one of Good Shepherd's outpatient locations, we provide in-home therapy services throughout our service area.
- Many of Good Shepherd’s wellness programs, including fitness opportunities, home modification and more, are appropriate for individuals with spinal cord injuries and their families.
- If you require 24-hour residential nursing care, Good Shepherd’s two long-term care facilities may be right for you.
Assistive technology for individuals with spinal cord injuries:
Good Shepherd is a Center of Excellence in the use of technology to enhance lives and augment rehabilitation. At Good Shepherd, our team uses leading-edge rehabilitation technology, coupled with expert hands-on therapy, to help maximize function and increase independence in our patients. We also offer a vast array of assistive technologies to help improve your independence. Learn more about the technologies available at Good Shepherd.
Highlights of Good Shepherd’s Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program include:
- Continence and urodynamics testing, treatment and education
- Driver training
- Evaluation of and treatment for functional impairments that result from spinal cord injury
- Evaluation of and treatment for speech and language impairments or swallowing disorders
- Evaluation of and treatment for cognitive or linguistic impairments
- Home and work evaluations
- Recreational opportunities and sports training
- Referrals to appropriate community resources
- Treatment and education relating to sexuality issues
- Ventilator weaning
- Wheelchair seating and mobility clinic