If you are living in Pennsylvania and you have a disability, you can benefit from Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology (PIAT). PIAT strives to enhance the lives of all Pennsylvanians with disabilities, older Pennsylvanians, and their families, through access to and acquisition of assistive technology devices and services.
How Is Good Shepherd Involved?
PIAT has designated Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network as the official Assistive Technology Resource Center for the region that includes Lehigh, Northampton, Monroe, Berks, Schuylkill, Carbon and Luzerne counties. As one of only eight AT Resource Centers in the commonwealth, Good Shepherd oversees the outreach, education, evaluation and training efforts of PIAT for the region.
How Can PIAT Help You?
PIAT provides access to and acquisition of assistive devices to help you gain independence. Through PIAT, you can:
- Borrow Assistive Equipment – Through PIAT’s lending library, you can borrow assistive technologies, such as communication devices, environmental aides and hearing products, for up to eight weeks at no cost. Are you a student? College students with disabilities can access devices for an entire semester, rather than the typical eight-week time-frame.
- Try Assistive Devices – This allows you to make an informed choice about which devices will work best for you.
- Recycle Assistive Technology – Good Shepherd therapists refurbish devices that are no longer being used and get them in the hands of those who need them. Good Shepherd accepts gently used assistive communication devices including computer hardware and software and vision aids. For more information or to donate an item, please call 610-776-3238.
- Get Adaptive Phones – The Telecommunications Device Distribution Program allows individuals with disabilities and low incomes to gain free access to specialized phones.
- Learn More – Good Shepherd provides education to consumers, service providers and public and private agencies regarding assistive technology.
Click here to find out more about PIAT .
For more information on Good Shepherd’s Assistive Technology Resource Center, contact us , or call 877-629-1717 or 610-778-1015.