If you or a loved one has had an amputation and are seeking to regain your functional independence, Good Shepherd’s Amputee Rehabilitation Program can help. At Good Shepherd, our goal is to help maximize your independence and regain a productive, rewarding lifestyle.
Levels of care:
The interdisciplinary Prosthetic and Orthotic Clinic is available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on an outpatient basis. The Clinic is located at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital - Allentown .
Assistive technology for amputees:
Good Shepherd is a Center of Excellence in the use of technology to enhance lives for children and adults. At Good Shepherd, our team uses leading-edge assistive technology, coupled with expert hands-on therapy, to help maximize function and increase independence in our patients. Learn more about the technologies available at Good Shepherd .
Good Shepherd's Pre- and Post-Prosthetic Amputee Rehabilitation Program specializes in evaluating and treating:
- Gait disorders
- Joint contracture prevention/treatment
- Pain control
- Phantom limb syndrome
- Physical impairments as a result of amputation including difficulty walking, working or performing tasks of daily living
- Residual limb healing and management including reducing swelling and improving strength, endurance and range of motion
- Residual limb desensitization
Good Shepherd's Pre- and Post-Prosthetic Amputee Rehabilitation Program provides:
- Education regarding skin hygiene and prosthesis usage
- Evaluation of patients of all ages
- Facilitation of community re-entry
- Facilitation of independence prior to prosthesis fitting
- Individualized prosthetic and orthotic evaluation, prescription and trouble shooting
- Instruction in proper prosthesis use for walking, transfers, vocational use and daily living
- Nutrition education
- Physical medicine
- Physical, occupational and recreational therapy
- Prosthesis management including wearing tolerance and volume (sock) management
- Prosthesis prescription and fit evaluation
- Psychological and peer support, through the Lehigh Valley Hospital Amputee Support Group
- Social work services
For more information on the Good Shepherd Amputee Rehabilitation Program, contact us call 1-888-44-REHAB (73422) or Request an Appointment .