The Good Shepherd Pediatric Feeding Program offers comprehensive assessment of a child's feeding, developmental and medical histories.
Characteristics of a feeding disorder:
- Choking/coughing/gagging with foods
- Desire to eat, then refusal
- Difficulty chewing
- Feeding tube dependence
- Eating a limited variety or volume of foods
- Not progressing to age-appropriate foods
- Slow weight gain/failure to thrive
Feeding Program Intake Process:
- Call Good Shepherd Patient Access at 610-776-3100. Indicate that you are interested in a pediatric feeding evaluation and provide a specific reason for the referral as well as the name of the referring physician.
- After you have spoken to a representative from Patient Access, Good Shepherd will mail you a feeding intake packet. You will need to complete this packet and return it to Good Shepherd.
- After Good Shepherd receives your completed intake packet , you will receive a phone call when an appointment is available.
Feeding Program Evaluation Process:
All Feeding evaluations are completed on Friday mornings with an occupational therapist and a speech therapist. The evaluation will last approximately 60 minutes and will include an interview with the parent(s) for background feeding history and observation of the child with both non-preferred and preferred foods.
At the conclusion of your child's evaluation, the therapists will review their recommendations, which may include:
- Returning for weekly therapy
- Returning for monthly feeding follow-ups
- Implementing a home exercise program in regards to feeding
- Completion of medical procedures/tests to provide further information
- Referrals to other professionals
Good Shepherd Health & Technology Center
Pediatrics - Dornsife Suite, Middle Level
850 S. 5th Street
Allentown, PA 189103
For more information on the Good Shepherd’s Pediatrics Program, contact us , call 1-888-44-REHAB (73422) or Request an Appointment .