Early Intervention Services
The Good Shepherd Pediatrics Early Intervention Program serves as a provider of Early Intervention Services to Lehigh and Northampton counties. Early Intervention is a service provided to children from birth to 3 years of age in the child’s natural environment. Early Intervention services are individualized for each child and family.
Early Intervention practitioners collaborate with team members from the county, other service providers and family members to develop goals and intervention plans reflecting the family’s priorities for the child, the interests of the child and family values. Early intervention utilizes naturally occurring routines and activities throughout the day to enhance the child’s development, engagement in functional activities and independence in the natural environment.
Early Intervention Services are provided at no cost to the families.
Early Intervention Services:
- Provide family members and caregivers with support and resources to enhance daily opportunities for learning in the home and community settings
- Enhance the families’ independence and competencies to promote the child’s development in his or her natural environment
Early Intervention support and services are designed to meet the developmental needs of children with disabilities as well as the needs of the family related to enhancing the child’s development in one or more of the following areas:
- Physical development, including vision and hearing
- Cognitive development
- Communication development
- Social or emotional development
- Adaptive development
Eligibility for Early Intervention Services for Infants and Toddlers:
- A significant delay in one or more areas of development
- A specialist’s determination that a delay is evident despite not showing up on assessments
- A known physical or mental condition that has high potential for developmental delays
If your child is experiencing developmental delays you should consult with your pediatrician to discuss your concerns.
Early Intervention provides supports and services in a variety of settings. Services may be provided in the child’s:
- Child care center
- Nursery school
- Play group
- Other settings familiar to the family
Good Shepherd Early Intervention Professionals Include:
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Speech therapists
To Obtain Early Intervention Services:
If you would like to obtain Early Intervention services, you will need to contact the county Early Intervention programs at the following referral lines:
- Lehigh County: 610-782-3200
- Northampton County: 610-559-3270
The county's Early Intervention teams are required to complete the Early Intervention initial evaluations to determine eligibility. If your child qualifies for services, you may request a Good Shepherd Therapist to provide ongoing services for your child.
If you would like information specifically regarding Good Shepherd's Early Intervention Program, please call 610-776-8334.