Why would any nurse with four school-aged children, a husband and a great job, spend her free time at school, doing homework and other countless hours to get a Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN)? That is exactly what Kim Orth is doing. She is currently spending 150 clinical hours with Eugene Anderson, clinical educator at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Eugene qualifies to be her preceptor because, he, too, has his MSN from DeSales University. As one of the first five male nurses to graduate from DeSales University with his MSN, Eugene is a pioneer in the profession of nursing.
Kim and Eugene spend their days reviewing policies and procedures, developing curriculum for mandatory and other educational programs, researching best practice guidelines, mentoring staff members, keeping track of and implementing the latest Joint Commission and Department of Health guidelines, and assisting with other performance improvement activities.
What are the benefits of having advanced practice nurses at Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network?
- Advanced practice nurses enhance patient care through implementing evidence based practice guidelines.
- They are prepared to evaluate current research data and determine if the information is valid and reliable.
- They are able to apply current research to patient care and nursing practice.
- They apply critical thinking skills in every situation and foster a safe environment for learning and inquiry.
- Advanced practice nurses provide advanced assessment skills at the patient bedside.
- Advanced practice nurses are able to lead or direct performance improvement activities and change.
Day 1 (0645):
We receive our first call for assistance. A staff nurse has called Eugene and me to come to the bedside and evaluate an EKG. She wants to confirm her analysis of the patient heart rhythm. Wow- it has been a long time since I have read an EKG strip. I look at Eugene and he gives me that reassuring nod. We head off to the clinical unit. At the bedside, we discuss lead placement options and reasons for inverted p waves. Together, we analyze the rhythm strip and confirm her findings. She is confident in her asessment skills and thanks us for our help. I am confident that this is going to be a great day!